Just like general surgery for thyroid nodules and cancer, hospital based surgeons are now pushing general RFA for thyroid nodules. The general stands for general anesthesia with or without nerve monitoring. The alternative is outpatient thyroid RFA done without general anesthesia in your endocrinologists office ultrasound room. Endocrinologist use local anesthesia of the thyroid capsule to control pain during the short procedure. They do not put you to sleep. You are wake and can report any symptoms such as voice change. Rapid treatment with ice cold dextrose can return the voice to normal allowing the procedure to continue. However persistent symptom cause cause an aborted procedure and a longer infusion of cold dextrose.
- 1. The cost of general thyroid RFA is $15,000 to $25,000.
- 2. The cost of office based thyroid RFA is $5000-$7000.
- 3. There are still risks from general anesthesia for thyroid RFA.
- 4. Risk of vocal cord damage is higher, without the nerve monitor.
- 5. General RFA without nerve monitoring risky and costly.
- 6. General RFA with nerve monitoring is less risky but more expensive.
- 7. Why take a chance when office based thyroid RFA is safe and effective and less expensive.
- 8. Call me at 310-393-8860 or email to [email protected] for details of my office based thyroid RFA today.