Manic Depressive Disorder ( MDD ) After Thyroid Surgery!
Dr.Guttler’s comments: Another reason to get outside second opinion before you sign up for the surgery.There are alternatives available for those who seek them.
- Among 190,000 patients that had their thyroid removed 17,000 developed MDD.
- 4000 had partial removal. ( 23% ) and 13000 had a total removal.
- Total TX had a prolonged risk of MDD.
- The incidence of MDD increased after TX and remained high for 1-2 years.
- If you do not need the surgery and develop MDD you now have to add a new physician to your medical visits for psychiatric treatment.
- Reference: Increased Morbidity of Manic Depressive Disorder after Thyroidectomy: KW Choi et al Thyroid 29(12)2019 p.1713-22