The ABC’s of Learning Endocrinologist Office Based Thyroid Radiofrequency Ablation RFA.
If endocrinologists don’t learn thyroid RF it will be controlled by surgeons and radiologists. Thyroid RF is the most exciting procedure to come along since neck ultrasounds, USGFNAs, and molecular markers to decrease the number of surgical procedures to treat nodules, cancer and parathyroid adenomas. Why do you think the ENT and general surgeons are learning RFA? They see the handwriting on the wall that another procedure is a potential threat to further loss of revenue for them. This procedure is not a hospital based and can be done with training in your private office. It requires no general or conscience sedation. The patient is awake and can tell you if there is a problem. The procedure takes 30-60 minutes. The patient leaves after a short observation period with a small band aid over the injection needle hole.
- Be one of the 600 ECNU certified endocrinologists.
- If not certified now get ECNU as first priority.
- Do your own neck ultrasounds and USGFNAs.
- Take a basic thyroid RFA course which includes lectures and hands on workshops on how to make models for future use with your system.
- During basic course watch instructor do thyroid RF on his patients.
- Spend at least 50 hours with your system ablating beef nodules in bovine liver or turkey breasts when you go back to your practice before considering doing a human case.
- Take an advanced Thyroid RF course where you can do your first cases after many hours of training with your system.
- After the experience of watching experts do thyroid RF and then doing one or 2 cases under their supervision you will have the confidence to do your first cases in your office.
- How do you get trained? The basic 2 day course is available in my center. Call 310-393-8860 or [email protected] for details.
- The advanced course is only available in Brazil as Dr.Leo Rangel has permission to train endocrinologists in his hospital and allow them to do a case or two with him controlling the off/on footpedal.
- Several endocrinologists, including myself have attended his course and were able to treat 1-2 of his patients with thyroid nodules with RFA.
14. Large nodule before thyroid PEI/RFA.