Thyroid Cancer 101: Why Outside Second Opinions Matter.It can result in major therapeutic and prognostic modifications.
Dr.Guttler’s comments on this important article to protect your health if you are told to have surgery for a suspicious thyroid nodule or cancer.
1.Clinicians relie on the pathology report to determine the treatment course for our thyroid cancer patients.
2. However not all pathologists are equal in giving us what we need to treat.
3. Leeds referral center looked at 66 cases and when there was a disagreement a third blinded set of eyes looked at the slides.
4.12/66 had a different diagnosis.
5. 2/66 had the diagnosis changed to benign!
6.8/66 had the prognosis downgraded to low risk.
7.4/66 had the diagnosis upgraded to more severe.
8. 5/66 had their management altered completely by a new pathologic diagnosis.
9. A second opinion of surgical pathology for thyroid tumours can result in major therapeutic and prognostic modifications.
10. All cases of suspected thyroid cancers should have second opinions for not only the pathology but also a complete review of the diagnosis and treatment plan by a thyroid cancer expert.