|Focus of practice is to find alternative methods to prevent unnecessary thyroid surgery. First was needle biopsies to decrease surgery on benign nodules, then molecular markers and classifiers during FNA needle washout to further decrease surgery on suspicious nodules.He advocates for no thyroid ultrasounds without an indication as they cause unnecessary biopsies and surgery.|
Author on a major papers on the use of molecular markers during needle biopsies. Cross-trained in thyroid nuclear medicine, thyroid cytology, endocrine neck ultrasound, and interventional thyroidology, ethanol ablations PEI for thyroid cancer lymph nodes and complex thyroid cystic nodules, and parathyroid cysts. Trained in Radiofrequency ablation for solid nodules but without FDA approval I liaison with RFA endocrinologists in Italy and Korea to see my patients with large solid nodules after my evaluation determines if they are candidates.
What are the options?
- Active surveillance AS of < 1.5 cm micro-papillary in my center.
- Ethanol ablation PEI of the small cancer as an alternative to surgery or AS.
- Radiofrequency ablation RFA of the micro-papillary cancer.
- After ablation with either method the patient returns for a repeat Fine needle biopsy or core needle if RFA is done in Korea.
- Yearly follow up to several years to be sure the cancer was completely ablated.
- After ablation there is no need for thyroid replacement therapy as after thyroidectomies.
- Both procedures as well as long term follow up by Dr.Guttler and Thyroid Cancer Care Collaborative TCCC.
- How do you find out if you are a candidate for any of the three non-surgical alternatives?
- Call my center at 310-393-8860, or email to [email protected]
Thyroid Center of Santa Monica
1328 16th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90404
email [email protected]