Thyroid No Surgery 101: Ethanol Ablation PEI What Can Be Treated Right Now in the USA?
- Thyroid complex cystic nodules with >30-50% cyst fluid.
- Large thyroid benign nodules with pressure symptoms and 30% cystic component can have relief of symptoms with PEI ablation to decrease the size and improve symptoms until definitive therapy with radiofrequency RFA can be arranged in Europe or Korea. RFA is still pending approval in the USA.
- Parathyroid cysts that fail with simple drainage. (90% fail )
- Hemorrhagic degeneration of a parathyroid cyst. May bleed into the chest and PEI is needed or surgery.
- Recurrent papillary cancer in neck lymph nodes after a failed prior modified radical neck dissection surgery. Each PEI treatment saves another surgery and save money and pain and suffering of post op recovery.Each PEI done saves $35-50,000 in surgery costs.
- Primary papillary micro-cancer <1.5 cm ablation as a third treatment modality with surgery or Active Surveillance. The drop out rate from the surveillance arm is high and people do not like to have a cancer in the neck for 40 years. They also are against the surgery. PEI is the answer for those patients.
- Renal patients with large parathyroids and tertiary hyperthyroidism can have PEI ablation as a palliative therapy.
PEI is available right now in the USA. It is safe,less expensive than surgery, and has no history of major complications like surgery.It is done in an office setting by an interventional thyroidologists IT or in the hospital outpatient by interventional radiologists IR. Mayo clinic has one of the best IR programs for ethanol ablation under endocrinologist Ian Hay’s guidance.
Brittany Henderson in North Carolina is a trained IT.
Mark Lupo in Florida is an IT. He is in the center of the picture with Dr.Guttler and Hendrson
Kathleen Hands, MD, FACE
Thyroid and Endocrine Center of South Texas
Richard Guttler MD,FACE,ECNU
SAnta Monica Thyroid Center
Call Matt at 310-393-8860 for more information on IT physicians near you or come to see these experts. email [email protected]