Ultrasound in Endocrine Neck Imaging
Can detect 1-2 mm nodules
- Difficult to image some areas of the neck.
- Used now for guidance of needle for biopsy and and for ethanol ablation PEI and radiofrequency ablation RFA procedures.
- Small < 1 cm nodules are found in a high proportion of the population.
- Do not do US on patients without a clinical indication.
- US is not a good test to measure size of large goiters.
- Volume methods are 80-85% accurate only.
- Uses for US. fetal thyroid examination, congenital defects, ectopic thyroid, thyroglossal duct cyst, thyroid volume, nodule volume, high risk features of nodules,aid in biopsies, blood flow,aid in PEI, RFA and evaluation and aid in biopsy of regional suspicious lymph nodes.