Autonomous Functioning Thyroid Nodules AFTN and Toxic Nodules: Avoid Radioiodine Therapy RAI as it has risk of increased all-cause mortality. Consider Radiofrequency ablation RFA instead.
DR. Guttler’s comments:
- They found no increased cancer risk with RAI.
- The risk of death from all forms of circulatory, respiratory,endocrine and metabolic diseases was significantly increased.
- RAI use for all thyroid conditions has decreased over the years.
- RAI for thyroid cancer is still a valid use in more serious cases.
- RAI should not be used for small low risk thyroid cancer.
- RAI is less needed for Graves disease as long term low dose Tapazole is an effective alternative.
- Finally, AFTN and Toxic nodules can now be ablated with RFA and this disease is now another to one that RAI is not needed.
- Call me at 310-393-8860 or email to [email protected] for an evaluation for possible RFA therapy.
- Ask for Alicia
Yan D. et al
Endocrine Practice 27( 2021) p. 362-69