Deandrea M, Trimboli P, Garino F, et al. Long term efficacy of a single session RFA of benign thyroid nodules: a longitudinal 5-year observational study [published online March 12, 2019]. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. doi:10.1210/jc.2018-02808
Thyroid Nodule No Surgery 101: Avoid Surgery with Thyroid Ablation.
Thyroid Nodule No surgery 101: Avoid Surgery with Thyroid Ablation.
1. Single Radiofrequency Ablation RFA Has Long-Term Effects on Benign Thyroid Nodules.
2. (RFA) is safe and may have a long-lasting effect in patients with benign thyroid nodules.
3. Nodule shrinkage and improvement in compressive symptoms and aesthetic discomfort were evident following a single RFA session.
4.The effects of a single RFA session in patients with benign thyroid nodules, followed for >3 years.
4.215 patients (182 women; median age, 66 years) after a single RFA session for >3 years.
5. Amazing short median time of treatment was 14 minutes.
6. Small nodules had the best reduction at 5 years.(82%)
7. Larger nodule had small reductions.
8. Treatment with RFA was associated with improved compressive local symptoms and cosmetic concerns.
9. No major complications associated with RFA.
10.9/215 had regrowth at one year.
11. Single-session of radiofrequency ablation represents a good alternative to surgery for treated patients with symptomatic benign thyroid nodules.