A Novel Drug to Replace Tapazole and PTU for Graves’ hyperthyroidism?
Too early to tell but worth discussing.
J Clin Endocrinol March 2020 195(3) :696-704
GJ Kahaly et al
- 15 patients were treated with monoclonal antibody Iscalimab.
- 7/15 became euthyroid.
- 2/15 had normal TSH.
- 6/15 needed ATD therapy.
- 34/39, adverse effects were mild.
- 5/39 moderate.
- SX =Fatigue , nausea, headache, URI and cystitis.
- Iscalimab is generally safe and clinically effective in a group of patients with GD.
- An alternative to the toxic drugs Tapazole and PTU in some patients in the future will be a good resource to add to the long standing use of ATD’s,