Thyroid No Surgery: Thyroid Radiofrequency Ablation is Not Just First Line Treatment for Benign Thyroid Nodules. Now add Micropapillary Thyroid Cancer.
New 5 year study of RFA for micropallary thyroid cancers
USGRFA versus Surgery for low risk micropapillary cancer.
Thyroid 30(3)March 11 2020 M.Zhang et al
Dr.Guttler’s comments on this article.
- 174 patients 94 elected to have thyroid RF. 80 elected to have surgery.
- Outcomes based on 5 year follow up.
- The results are summarized.
- For low risk small thyroid cancers contained in the thyroid gland, thyroid RF is not oncologically inferior to surgery.
- Thyroid RF is superior to surgery with a higher quality of life scores.
- Thyroid RF treatment time was shorter than surgery treatment time, can be done as outpatient, and even in endocrinologist’s office.
- Dr.Guttler doing thyroid RF i. his office ultrasound room.
- Thyroid RF should not be done accept by local Lidocaine, not general anesthesia or conscious sedation.
- Thyroid RF was less expensive than surgery.
- Also the RF expense varied from endocrine office of $5000-7500, to $15000 for hospital with conscious sedation, and $25000 for hospital with general anesthesia. After evaluation to see if thyroid RF is right for you, the procedure itself costs $6000.00. There is no insurance but we have medical loan company to arrange a loan for the procedure if needed.
- This study shows how risky thyroid surgery
- is when a thyroid RF procedure in this study had no complications 0/94 cases, while 4% of the surgery cases had bad complications 3/80. Two had permanent recurrent nerve vocal cord paralysis injuries shown in this image.
- and one had permanent injury to the parathyroid glands causing surgical induced hypoparathyroidism and life long treatment.